Contact us either by telephone or email every day. Our staff is ready to assist you with your enquiries or any information to ensure you the best possible stay.
ANTICA DIMORA CONTESSA ARRIVABENE
Viale Tito Livio n. 28 - 00136 Roma
Phone +39 06 45429400 – Fax +39 06 99334019
The Antica Dimora Contessa Arrivabene staff requires at least 3 days advance notice for check-in time variations and additional requirements made either via email or telephone.
CHURCH OF SAN PIETRO
The Basilica of St. Peter in the Vatican and in the heart of the Eternal City is a symbol of Christendom.
Founded on the site of the martyrdom of Saint Peter, during the persecution of Nerone in 64 AD, located on the Via Aurelia, near the Vatican Hill.
There were many renovations to the church was subjected: during the papacy of Niccolò V (1447-1455), under Giulio II (1506-1513) who commissioned Bramante to the task of extending it from its original size.
Crucial was the intervention of Michelangelo in 1547, thanks to Pope Paul III drew up a new project which he completed in 1612 after Carlo Moderno than thirty years after his death.
Is characterized by a colonnade on which is placed a cornice with central gable, contained in a balustrade on which are placed thirteen statues, the height of which is approximately 6 meters with the central statue that represents the Redeemer blessing. In front are five entrances to the places above which there are nine windows, the central one is called the Loggia of the Blessings, as at Christmas and Easter, and after his election, the Pope the Urbi et Orbi blessing.
The central portal is build by Filarete and was completed in 1455 by the Florentine sculptor, to his right, stands the Holy Door, built in 1950 by sculptor Vico Consorti.
This bronze door is opened by the Pope during the Jubilee celebrations.
Entering in the Basilica, in the first chapel on the right stands the Pietà by Michelangelo, done by the artist in 1499 at age 24.
Following the Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament on the altar of which is placed a bronze canopy designed by Bernini in 1674 that refers to the temple of San Pietro in Montorio on the Janiculum Renaissance masterpiece built by Bramante.
At the end of the right aisle is the tomb of Gregory XIII (1572-1585), created in 1723 by sculptor Camillo Rusconi.
In the nave stands the bronze statue of St. Peter's blessing of the sculptor Arnolfo di Cambio (1245-1302).
The vault of the nave is supported by pillars adorned with fluted pilasters with gilded stucco that decorates the ceiling were executed in 1780 under Pio VI.
The square pillars placed at the intersection of the longitudinal nave and transept supporting the dome of St. Peter's present in their inner faces four niches containing statues of Bernini's school about the Passion of Christ: San Longino, the soldier who struck Christ the spear to the chest, was built in 1638 by Bernini and his students are the statue of St. Helena, mother of Constantine, who took the cross and nails in Rome, of Saint Veronica wiped the face of Christ on Calvary, and Andrew, brother of Peter and martyred by crucifixion in Greece.
At the center of the church is the papal altar, with the 29-meter high bronze baldachin made ??between 1624 and 1632 by Bernini commissioned by Pope Urbano VIII, Barberini (1623-1644) to fill the space between the altar and the dome of St. Peter.
Under the main altar is the tomb of St. Peter, a tradition supported by recent archaeological investigations, contains the remains of the Apostle.
This church is still one of the world's largest in its majestic size of 187 meters long and 58 wide total of three aisles. The height of the vault of the nave is 46 meters, while the cross placed on top of the dome of St. Peter reaches 136 meters.
The museum was founded by Pope Julius II in the sixteenth century, is located within the State of Vatican City, and is one of the art collections of the largest in the world, since it exposes the enormous collection of works' art accumulated over centuries by the Popes.
The Vatican Museums, which occupy most of the vast Cortile del Belvedere, were visited annually by over 4 million people, confirming its position as the most visited museum "Italian", although it must be remembered that this is not really being in territory not belonging the Italian Republic.
The origin of the Vatican Museums can be traced to a single marble sculpture, purchased 500 years ago, representing Laocoön and his sons caught between the coils of a sea serpent, the priest who according to Greek mythology, tried to convince the Trojans to not to accept the wooden horse that the Greeks seemed to have given to them.
This work was found Jan. 14, 1506 in a vineyard near the basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore in Rome, and Pope Julius II sent Giuliano da Sangallo and Michelangelo Buonarroti, who once worked at the Vatican, to examine the discovery.
It was in fact on their recommendation that he Pope immediately purchased the sculpture from the vineyard owner, and soon after the work was shown in public at the Vatican. Since then the popes continued and completed to gather and select the greatest art treasures.
At the beginning of the Holy Year 2000 was opened a new entrance to the Museum, housed in the Vatican walls, accessible by the right colonnade of Piazza S. Peter, through Piazza Risorgimento and going on via Leone IV and Viale Vaticano. It 'a great spiral ramp of 165 meters inspired by the Louvre's pyramid and has the aim of creating a unique sense of visits to museums in order to avoid delays and queues.
The Vatican Museums are expanding on four floors over an area of 10,000 square meters.
The Museums are closed on certain dates holidays (1 January, 6 January, 11 February 19 March, Easter Monday, 1 May, 29 June, 15 August, 1st November, 8th December, 25 December 26 December). The Museums are closed on Sundays except the last Sunday of the month, unless it coincides with previous holidays.
The Sistine Chapel and Papal apartments painted by Raphael's works are part of the Vatican museum visitors can admire in their path.
It was built between 1475 and 1481, at the time of Pope Sisto IV della Rovere, to whom it was named.
The project was developed by the Florentine architect Baccio Pontelli. In 1483 Sixtus IV consecrated the new chapel and dedicated it to Mary of the Assumption. Julius II della Rovere, nephew of Sisto IV, decided to change the decoration in part, by giving in 1508 to Michelangelo Buonarroti, who painted the vault, the lunettes.
The last great decoration of the chapel was commissioned by Clement VII, who commissioned, on the back wall, even to Michelangelo, the enormous fresco of the Last Judgment (1535-1541).
It is known around the globe for being the place where you hold the conclave and other official ceremonies of the Pope (in the past also some papal coronations).
The walls also keep a series of frescoes by some of the greatest Italian masters of the late fifteenth century: Sandro Botticelli, Perugino, Pinturicchio, Domenico Ghirlandaio, Luca Signorelli, Piero di Cosimo and others.
On the left are scenes from the life of Moses on the right side, the life of Christ.