PIAZZA DEL POPOLO
Piazza del Popolo marks the apex of the triangle that is formed by three streets known as the Tridente (Via del Babuino, Via del Corso and Via di Ripetta), giving access to the heart of Rome.
The Porta del Popolo gives access to the large square and on the other side provides the starting point of Via Flaminia. It dates back to 1565 and comprises of columns from St. Peter's Cathedral. Michelangelo's original project was modified numerous times and passed into the hands of various architects of the period, such as Bernini.
The Church of Santa Maria del Popolo was built in 1099 at the foot of the Pincio Hill, funded by the people of Rome, thus the name of the Church, originally known as “del Trullo". The church was rebuilt in 1472 by Pope Sixtus Della Rovere IV, from the designs of Baccio Pontelli and later embellished by Bernini and Bramante under the direction of Alexander VII. Many great artists worked on the interior of the church and its decorations, such as Pinturicchio, Caravaggio and Raffaello for the Chigi chapel.
In the middle of the square stands an obelisk, known as "Flaminio" (23,2 meters tall), on which Seti I's hieroglyphic inscriptions were carved (1318-1304 a.C.), and reads “the one who fills Heliopolis with obelisks that their rays may illuminate the Temple of Ra". It was the first obelisk to be transferred to Rome by order of Augustus (in 10 b.c.), to commemorate the conquest of Egypt and symbolize the Sun.
Three hundred and fifty years later, the obelisk originally located in the Circus Maximus was moved to the center of the square by Pope Sixtus V. Valadier completely transformed the square during the 16th century, giving a nearly, perfect scenery, with that large oval basin shape and perfectly “filled" out with his fountains. In the background, as if to guard the Tridente, are the two twin churches of Santa Maria in Montesanto and Santa Maria dei Miracoli, began by Rainaldi and completed by Bernini and Carlo Fontana between 1675 and 1678. An interesting fact is that although they appear to be identical, due to lack of space the two domes are in fact quite different, (one has a octagonal dome, the other has a twelve sided dome).
It is the monumental structure dedicated to a Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia, first king of Italy. The building that dominates Piazza Venezia is officially known as the “Alter of the Fatherhood". It was built between 1885 and 1888, in the neo-classical style and considering the large dimensions of the building, it used advanced techniques for that period. The monument praises the Unification of Italy (PATRIAE UNITATI - CIVIUM LIBERTATI) and celebrates the grandeur of Rome, the Capital. The monument which is continuously guarded, shelters the Tomb of an Unknown Soldier, (Milite Ignoto), containing the remains of an unidentified Italian soldier from the First World War, that represents all those who died in wars.
TRINITÀ DEI MONTI
Built in 1502 and consecrated in 1585 by Pope Sixtus V. The church of Trinità dei Monti faces one of the most beautiful squares in the world: Piazza di Spagna, which can be reached by the famous Spanish Steps. It was built in the Gothic style and was originally known as “Trinità del Monte", as it was located on the Pincio Hill. The church is composed of a single nave and two symmetrical bell towers. There are six side chapels inside the church, adorned with exquisite works of art, such as the famous Deposizione (The Deposition), one of the most famous works of art by Daniele da Volterra, an apprentice of Michelangelo, and the Assunzione (Assumption of the Virgin), another of works of art which is preserved here and is said to be the portrait of his teacher. Nowadays the Steps are always crowed with tourists taking a break, or taking photographs and enjoying the sun that illuminates the Steps until sunset. Such a charming and romantic place, almost magical, that shines even more in spring when the monumental staircase is beautifully decorated with hundreds of flowers.
Lucius Licinius Lucullus was born in 117 b.c. and although he descended from aristocratic origins, poverty consumed his childhood. Over the years he became consul-general and was able to exploit the opportunities using his great intelligence. Motivated and ambitious, he became one of the wealthiest men in Ancient Rome, purchasing houses and estates and spending huge sums of money on his famous banquets in which he entertained the Roman bourgeoisie. Lucullus lived in unbridled luxury until his death in 56 b.c., caused by an excess of drugs and potions in which he drowned the pains induced by his forced exile, caused by the vicissitudes of a life lived to the limits. The Residenza Horti Luculliani overlooks the Gardens of Lucullus in the center of Rome: a large area now occupied by the Spanish Steps and Villa Medici. In fact, it is not by chance that when one talks about “luculliano", one defines something that is rich and delicious.
Contact us either by telephone or email every day. Our staff is ready to assist you with your enquiries or any information to ensure you the best possible stay.
Phone:+39 06 454 294 00
Fax:+39 06 993 340 19
The Residenza Horti Luculliani staff requires at least 3 days advance notice for check-in time variations and additional requirements made either via email or via telephone.
Immerse yourself in the historic Rome and put your finger on the pulse of this city's beating heart, shopping and having fu. The magical atmosphere and roman sunsets will make your roman holiday perfect.